The fluor wax ban goes into effect – applies to all Vasaloppet ski races
On July 1, 2023, a total ban on fluorinated ski waxes was introduced for all ski competitions sanctioned by the International Ski and Snowboard Federation and the Swedish Ski Association. This ban applies to all 14 ski races in Vasaloppet (both competitions and recreational races) starting from Vasaloppet's Winter Week 2024. All ski wax must now be fluoro-free. Controls will be carried out both before the start and after the finish – if fluorine is detected, it will result in a starting ban or disqualification. Therefore, it's crucial to thoroughly clean your skis and other equipment.
The reason for the ban is that the fluorocarbons (PFAS) found in the wax are dangerous – for both humans and nature. PFAS is carcinogenic and can cause liver damage, kidney damage, weakened immune systems, and hormonal imbalances.
Controls at competitions
Controls can take place before the start or after the finish. With new testing equipment, it only takes a few seconds to determine whether the wax contains traces of fluorine. If the test result before the start shows traces of fluorine exceeding the limit, the skier will be banned from starting or will have to change skis. If there are traces of fluorine after the race exceeding the limit, the skier will be automatically disqualified.
Cleaning – IMPORTANT!
To be able to compete on skis that have previously been waxed with fluorine products, the equipment must be cleaned of fluorine according to specific recommendations.
It’s also important that there’s not too high a fluorine content on other equipment (such as brushes, ski covers, etc.) that can transfer to the skis. Therefore, the recommendations also include instructions for cleaning waxing equipment and similar.
FACTS/ Vasaloppet and fluor ski wax
– Vasaloppet’s official ski wax service has been entirely fluoro-free since 2019.
– In connection with Vasaloppet’s Winter Week 2023, Testfakta tested several watercourses near Vasaloppet to determine whether skiers’ fluorine waxes contribute to increased levels of PFAS chemicals. Fortunately, the analysis showed barely measurable levels.
Read more about the test (Swedish only) >
Together, we’ll make ski sports fluoro free!
Vasaloppet upcoming events
Vasaloppet’s Winter Week 2024 – cross country skiing
• Friday, February 23, Vasaloppet 30, start Oxberg, 30 km
• Saturday, February 24, Tjejvasan, start Oxberg, 30 km
• Sunday, February 25, Öppet Spår Sunday, start Sälen, 90 km
• Sunday, February 25, Ungdomsvasan, start Eldris, 9 km, start Hökberg, 19 km
• Monday, February 26, Öppet Spår Monday 90, freestyle, start Sälen, 90 km
• Monday, February 26, Öppet Spår Monday 45, freestyle, start Evertsberg, 43 km
• Monday, February 26, Öppet Spår Monday 30, freestyle, start Oxberg, 28 km
• Tuesday, February 27, Vasaloppet 45, start Oxberg, 45 km
• Friday, March 1, Stafettvasan, ski relay, five sections start Sälen, 90 km
• Friday, March 1, Nattvasan 30, individually or two-person teams, freestyle, start Oxberg, 30 km
• Friday, March 1, Nattvasan 45, individually or two-person teams, freestyle, start Oxberg, 45 km
• Friday, March 1, Nattvasan 90, individually or two-person teams, freestyle, start Sälen, 90 km
• Saturday, March 2, Vasaloppet 10, freestyle, start Eldris, 9 km
• Sunday, March 3, The 100th Vasaloppet, start Sälen, 90 km (Fully booked)
Vasaloppet’s Summer Week 2024 – biking and running
• Friday, August 9 Ungdomscykelvasan start Oxberg, 32 km
• Friday, August 9 Cykelvasan Öppet Spår start Sälen, 96 km
• Friday, August 9 Cykelvasan 30 start Oxberg, 32 km
• Friday, August 9 Cykelvasan 45 start Oxberg, 45 km
• Saturday, August 10 Cykelvasan 90 start Sälen, 96 km
• Friday, August 16 Trailvasan 10 start Mora, 10 km
• Saturday, August 17 Ultravasan 90 start Sälen, 92 km
• Saturday, August 17 Vasastafetten running relay, ten legs, start Sälen, 92 km
• Saturday, August 17 Ultravasan 45 start Oxberg, 45 km
• Saturday, August 17 Trailvasan 30 start Oxberg, 30 km